We will get to the cause of your knee pain and provide a custom solution to ease your pain and improve your mobility.
Pain in the knee may be caused by long periods of standing or repetitive movement. The tibia is rotating on the inside while the femur is being pulled in an external rotation to compensate. These opposing forces happen at the same time that the lateral knee is being compressed. At York Foot Orthotics and Bracing in Aurora, Ontario, we offer custom orthotics made in-house to be a long-term solution for your knee pain.
There are many things that can cause knee pain, including:
- The hip and femur bone may lean outward and the muscle pull in the direction of external rotation which shifts the body weight laterally to make up for poor medial stability.
- When weak ankles roll inward, the ankle joints compress on the lateral side. This can present a flattening of the arch as well.
- When the lateral knee joint compresses, the associated ligaments and muscles are compromised as they try to stabilize the medial knee.
- Inflammation due to osteoarthritis
- Small or large tears of the tendon above or below the patella (kneecap)
- Sports injury, typically to the patellar tendon
- Patella fracture
- Ligament issues to the ACL, PCL, MCL
- Cartilage injuries
Knee pain can be exhibited around or under the patella or with tenderness in the ligaments and muscles of the knee. Some causes, such as a patella fracture, may require surgery. Others can be helped with custom orthotics or braces. In general, custom orthotics include:
- Medial longitudinal arch support to control pronation
- A heel cup with rear foot posting to control the hindfoot motion
- Forefoot wedging as needed
Our pedorthist, Dean Woodcock, has nearly two decades of experience with knee pain and offers a wide range of services to get you the relief you deserve. Call today to schedule a free consultation to learn more.